Friday, December 17, 2010

Reflection: Weeks 13-14 Combined with Overall Course Reflection

So now I write our very last reflection for the semester. As always I will say it, “Where has our time gone?!” Seriously tho, this semester flew by way too fast. I will briefly cover weeks 13 and 14 in this final reflection.

In week 13, we started off by visiting Goodwill. Here, we met with two representatives and toured the building while learning about their commitment to serving others. It was really cool to see how everything at Goodwill worked. We ended our day by doing a cool activity where we were assigned a destination wedding where we had to pick out an outfit, gift and something we couldn’t go there without. We drew Hawaii and had a lot of fun seeing everyone’s creative ideas!

Week 14 we had to bring in our Junk Projects. In this assignment we had to find an object and refurbish it into something we could use. After our Goodwill tour, I walked through the store to find my very own piece of “junk”. I discovered a cute little cookie jar so I purchased it for a whopping $.99! What a steal huh? So I brought it home and decorated it with a Christmas theme and filled it with my homemade peppermint fudge =) I then gave it to my internship supervisor as a Christmas gift. She loved it! This was a really cool experience for me because it allowed me to be creative and turn a regular piece of “junk” into something that I would use.

Overall, I have learned so much from taking this course. I was introduced to the blogging world and learned anything and everything about the Do’s and Don’t of proper blogging techniques. I have also been exposed to some very eye-opening documentaries that have changed my outlook on certain environmental issues in our society. We also learned how to advocate for health education. We were given the opportunity to research who represents us and also draft a letter of concern on an issue that we have found important to us. And we have learned that calling something "junk" doesn't always mean that it doesn't serve a purpose. After all they say "One man's junk is another man's treasure". Finally, we have challenged each other to become more environmentally friendly by incorporating small changes into our everyday lifestyles.

As you can see, I have learned A LOT from taking this Environmental Health class. It kind of makes me sad that I don't have to comment or post weekly on my blog anymore after this. Nor will I have as much excitement about finding a new topic for my Share & Voice! Oh well, it has been a good run. After this, I am definitely more confident about sharing my voice and opinions through a blog! Who knows, maybe I will keep up my daily blogging. Feel free to stop by and see what I'm up to!

It's been a good run.
Thank you for all who followed me and offered your thoughts and opinions on my daily posts.
Over and Out this is Through Green Eyes with Katie Signing Off for the last time.
Peace.

5 comments:

  1. I can't believe how much we've learned in such little time either! I feel as if we were on fast forward this semester. Your junking project turned out really cute! And, may I add, your fudge was TO DIE FOR! Yay for being roomies so I could taste-test :) I'm glad you enjoyed this class as much as I have!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The fudge looks yummy delicious! It was fun to create a junking project and be able to share it with someone else. I was tempted to keep mine, but knew it could be put to good use with someone else as well. Don't be sad about not completing weekly blogs- continue it with your internship or open it up to the public more or just talking about all that we've learned and accomplished will help continue to bring awareness to all these topics.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really liked your junking idea. It's simple, but you made it personable. Overall, the junking project was probably my favorite, and gave me inspiration to continue making other projects!! I, too, enjoyed learning how to blog. I think i might start a new blog on another subject and have it be somewhere that I load my pictures on so that people can comment on them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is kind of sad that we won't be doing any more online activities! I probably learned just as much from each of your guys' posts as I did from being in the classroom. Your junking idea was cute! I'm sure your supervisor thought you spent a lot more than you did :). I'm glad that you've learned so much over the semester, though. I think you should keep blogging, too, and maybe encourage other people to get blogs to share with.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, we have learned so much its sad to see the semester come to an end. Your junking project turned out so cute, and the fudge looks delicious! Doing this project will hopefully help me to reuse more things in the future to get more use out of my own "junk"! Its so great that you want to continue blogging! Its such a good tool to share with others things your doing. Its fun and easy!

    ReplyDelete